Well, it is a rhetorical question to ask. But still, I am trying to answer it to the best of my ability. Before moving towards the ‘why-part’ of this article, I should first write about the ‘what and how part’.
An act of kindness is a gesture of goodwill towards someone irrespective of your and their financial state, mental state and physical state. Random act of kindness can be performed anywhere and at any time.
It can be as simple as waving to someone you see regularly, talking to them or even smiling at them once in a while. It is the way in which you connect to people even for a second or two. Although you are not supposed to spend your money to be kind but you can go out of your way and spend some of your money to make someone else’s day.
Even though every other religion encouraged kindness as the investment of some sort of salvation and every culture in one way or other recognized it as one of the most important traits of human personality. But still in some points of our life, feels easier to be unkind. Life is not easy, it has its own ups and downs and when we are not in our great state when we feel the world is working against us, that time we often tend to be unkind.
It is true, we all are vulnerable in one way or another. As Plato once said, “Be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting their own battle.” Don’t be rude to others because you had a long day. Never used that as an excuse to behave badly.
I don’t feel that people should look for reasons to be kind. But I have formulated what I feel should be the reasons for the people to opt kindness. They are:
- Be Kind, because an act of caring starts a ripple that comes back to you.
- Be Kind, because it is the rational thing to do. It makes sense to be kind.
- Be Kind, because it takes courage to be kind. It is challenging to hold your tongue and speak positively to others.
- Be Kind, because it is difficult to maintain the level you have reached and with the unkind behavior you are going to other person’s level. Try to bring them to your level instead.
- Be Kind, because being unkind doesn’t solve anything. That sure as hell complicates the things more.
- Be Kind, because it feels good to be kind, it is the right thing to do and it reflects who you actually are.
Kindness is something we can all engage in anytime and anywhere. Kindness is a choice. Choose it. An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind. But kindness for rudeness will spread honor and happiness. Kindness not only makes you feel good but also it makes others feel good too. And in making others feel good, you inspire them to want to do something kind for someone else.
Kindness is contagious, choose it and try it once in a while.
Jai Hind 🇮🇳